Biafra: Ibibio People Will Not Want To Be Taken For A Ride Again, says IPU
Inclusion of Ibibio in the Proposed Biafra: Ibibio People Will Not Want To Be Taken For A Ride Again
June 24, 2017 | NEWS | Destiny Young
Ibibio People’s Union (IPU) -an organization that protects the interests and rights of the Ibibio in Nigeria and worldwide has warned the agitators of Biafra not take Ibibio people for a ride again.
This warning is sequel to the recent inclusion of Ibibio in the map purporting to be the proposed Biafra enclave. In a statement made available to TheCalendar and signed respectively by the Global President and Secretary of the organization, Ikpafak Edet Udofia and Aniekan Udoh, IPU has said the Ibibio people have always upheld and believed in the sanctity of Nigeria as one and indivisible despite that fact that Nigeria as a project is a work in progress.
According to the statement, IPU believe that the federal government must be a uniting force in bringing the various groups together and ensuring the peace, harmony, and prosperity for all. It is also the role of the federal government to protect lives and property of all and to ensure that every Nigerian can live freely without fear or intimidation in any part of the country.
“Ibibio people were and still are well versed with self-governance and do not need others to think or speak for us. Ibibio people were the ones to demonstrate to Nigeria the value of higher education by taxing themselves to award scholarships to their children for study abroad when others were yet to appreciate the value of secondary school education”
“Ibibio are well aware of a key reason why the first Biafra project failed and will not agree to be taken for a ride again. We posit that irrational exuberance led to the declaration of the first Biafra BEFORE ALL the ethnic groups in Eastern Nigeria were properly consulted for their input. The same mistake is being repeated demonstrating that no lessons were learned from the first fiasco”
“IPU have looked around the world and have realized the need for at least one strong country for black people. Since there is strength in size, the Union believes in a united well-governed Nigeria. Nigeria has the people and resources, it only needs good and responsible leaders and the will to be that country. Therefore, we encourage all Nigerians to join hands to work to improve the country”
“The Ibibio through their illustrious sons and daughters have contributed and will continue to contribute to perfecting the union and Nigeria project”, the statement added.
It is against the foregoing background that IPU wishes to make the following declarations:
- The Union categorically and very strongly repudiates the effrontery of those who would draw a map of their dream Biafra and include Ibibio land without prior consultation.
- IPU is not against any ethnic nationality within Nigeria deciding its destiny.
- The Ibibio is not, has never been, will never be part of Biafra. While we sympathize with the plight of the Igbos living in the northern part of Nigeria and strongly condemn any act of intimidation, violence against any ethnic group, we wish to declare that the Ibibio are part of Akwa Ibom and Nigeria.
- We declare that should Nigeria disintegrate, Ibibio people, are capable of forming their own country by themselves. There are many countries in the world today whose population is less than the current population of Ibibio.
- We strongly encourage the federal government to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians in northern Nigeria.
- The Union calls on all Nigerian to remain calm, avoid incendiary language and posturing that are inimical to peace and unity.
- Finally, the Union calls on the Nigerian forces of law and order to remain vigilant and proactive.
You may be interested
We ‘ll take over Fed Govt in 2019, say South south PDP leadersTheCalendar - Feb 20, 2018
We ‘ll take over Fed Govt in 2019, say South south PDP leaders Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led states in the South South yesterday…
Looters denying their loot, says BuhariTheCalendar - Feb 20, 2018
Looters denying their loot, says Buhari President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday said that all looted assets recovered would be sold and the proceeds deposited…
PRESS RELEASE! Call Udom Emmanuel to order, Akwa Ibom APC urges SGFTheCalendar - Feb 20, 2018
PRESS RELEASE! Call Udom Emmanuel to order, Akwa Ibom APC urges SGF The Akwa Ibom State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC)…